on-line mediation training program
Edwards Mediation Academy (USА)
& Ukrainian Mediation Center
Upon completion, all successful students receive an international certificate from Edwards Mediation Academy (USA) & Ukrainian Mediation Center (Ukraine)
Graduates of the program become members of the international community of EMA and UMC
The course can be taken at the students’ chosen time and location. There are no timetable and schedules of visits, no deadlines for the study of various modules.
No need to spend money on traveling and living abroad to obtain a prestigious international certificate.
English allows students to learn mediation skills from some of the world’s most successful mediators, founders of the industry in the U.S.
English proficiency at intermediate level is required.
45+ hours Edwards Mediation Academy’s online course
Developed by experts in the fields of both mediation and high-quality distance learning, the course is structured so students receive the theory and practical skill development necessary for success in a career in mediation.
Basic teaching methods: interactive presentations, video-materials (case simulations, practitioners’ comments), workbooks for participants’ homework and observations, interactive knowledge tests, and the final exam, the successful completion of which is a prerequisite for the next learning stage.
Author and speakers
of the course
For the last 30 years, Bruce Edwards has conducted more than 7000 dispute mediations across the USA and worldwide. More than 80 parties participated in some disputes. He played an important role in the creating JAMS. It is the largest and the most successful arbitration administration organization in the United States. Нe was the chairman of the board until 2014
Hon. Daniel Weinstein (Ret.) — JAMS, a mediation pioneer in the USA. He is also the founder of the international mediation internship program
Nina Meierding, MS, JD — Mediator since 1986, 4,000 cases
Who is the course for?
The program will be useful for:
• Mediators willing to obtain an EMA International Certificate recognized by the State Bar Association (for those who are the members of the Association)
• Mediators who want to improve their skills and deepen their knowledge on the important but not well-researched (therefore, unique) topics
• Non-mediators — people who do not have basic training but who are willing to receive it. If necessary, they have an opportunity to develop mediation skills at the UMC on special terms
You can watch the demo video of the lesson on the site of Edwards Mediation Academy
Principles of Mediation
• Types of mediation
• Ways to resolve conflicts
• Key principles
• Mediator’s role in the process
• Process based on the search of parties’ interests
• Satisfaction triangle
• Mediator’s Mind
• Emotional competence test
• Mayer-Briggs test
• Exercise: 16 personalities and more.
• Engagement in the process
• Identifying key stakeholders
• Getting stakeholder approval to join the process
• Design of the mediation optimal format depending on its type (commercial, organizational, in communities etc.)
• Preparing a checklist for mediation
• How to be ready psychologically and mentally for the mediation process
• Types of mediation formats (private, collective, traditional, flexible) and their optimal configuration based on the type of mediation etc.
• Neurobiology and communication
• Active verbal communication
• Working with questions
• Power of words
• Power of silence
• Non-verbal communication
Apologies and Forgiveness
• Understanding of different apologies and forgiveness types
• The mediator’s role in the work with apologies
• The mediator’s role in the work with forgiveness
• Preparation for opening
• Creating conditions for hope, safety, creativity and self-determination
• Summary of mediation
• Mediator’s opening speech
• Participant’s opening speech
• Expert’s opening speech
• Neurobiology and emotions
• Emotions and their connection with the body and the mind
• Somatic markers
• The influence of emotions on the conflict
• The influence of emotions on the perception
• The emotions and feelings they raise
• The transformation curve of feelings in the Elizabeth Kubler-Ross’ conflict
• The mediator’s work with emotions (creating conditions preventing the escalation of high emotions, etc.)
•The mediator’s understanding of his emotions
• Emotion map
Culture and bias
• What is bias? Work with mediator’s biases
• Clear and hidden biases
• Test for detecting hidden biases
• Destruction of bias
• Culture and its influence on mediation
• Collective and individual culture
• Work with uncertainty
• The influence of the organizational culture
• Cross-cultural mediators’ challenges
• Gender aspects
• Negotiation stages
• Early negotiation stage in mediation
• Middle stage of negotiation in mediation
• Later stage of negotiation in mediation
• The purpose and challenges in each stage
• Work with dead-ends during each stage
• Useful tools
• Work with the mediation agreement.
• Post mediator activity of the mediator
• Definition of ethics.
• Ethics in mediation
• Ethics standards
• Ethics challenges, depending on the mediation stage
• Identify career opportunities according to the activity
• Things to consider when planning your career
• A test for a better self-understanding and needs test
What the key to long-term success is
You can watch the demo video of the lesson on the site of Edwards Mediation Academy
Edwards Mediation Academy
Was founded in 2014 by one of the leading and most experienced American mediators, Bruce Edwards. He, along with his wife and partner, Susan Franson Edwards, devote themselves to enhancing the overall practical experience of mediation professionals around the world. Built upon the merging of two new social shifts — the use of mediation as a system-based approach to dispute resolution in the modern legal system and improvement of online learning opportunities to support traditional classroom learning, EMA courses are used around the world. All EMA courses are taught by recognized pioneers and industry experts in the field of mediation.
Ukrainian Center of Mediation
UCM is one of the best recognized the highest standard for the training of practicing mediators and providers of mediation services and sets, both in Ukraine and abroad.
UCM mediation coaches are practicing mediators and experts in their field, authors of unique practical cases based on their own experience and have developed innovative educational projects in the area of mediation in educational institutions internationally.
The head of UCM, Galina Eremenko, Ph.D., a recognized international expert in mediation, together with a team of partners and graduates of the center, has created an unprecedented project on mediation in Ukraine, using many innovative teaching methods including gamification and online learning.
One can take practical skills in UCM off-line in Kiev or on-line
Mediator’s skills can be deepened in 80-85 per cent close-to-real situations and we have witnessed this many times during our mediation activities.
Simulation clubs are monthly meetings conducted in Kyiv at the Ukrainian Mediation Center.
Mediation simulations (case play) are practical exercises focused on the participants’ comprehensive testing of the skills and techniques of the mediator by working through case simulations — UCM’s training materials developed over the years by practicing mediators of the center – and followed by individualized feedback from coaches to students.
This proposed teaching method is recognized as the best way to effectively master the skills of a successful mediator and, at the moment, such mode of on-line coaching in Russian is offered only at UCM. UCM trainers working in coaching sessions are fully endorsed by Edwards Mediation Academy.
Another interesting course on mediation has gone through. 10 modules, 40 hours — is a new experience in the on-line course on mediation, and I would like to say that a very positive one. Each module is accompanied by video, practice exercises, cases and homework. Bruce is the mediator, whom I saw in “fields”, accompanying his real mediations. More than 20 years of experience, his main specialization is construction industry disputes, but he is often addressed to with respect to other commercial disputes.
He has an outstanding reputation within mediators, lawyers and the business community, and is a JAMS mediator. When passing all modules and performing homework with the required score an international certificate is issued / USA /. To be honest, my 40 hours stretched out for 4.5 months))). But, new knowledge were gained and those I had already owned were deepened. By the way, the course is accredited by the California Bar Association. I wish everyone the motivation to improve their professional level in the field of mediation and even more!
Q: The course begins on a specific date, can a participant start separately?
A: Each participant can start the course at any time and pass it in a convenient mode, the course is available 24/7. Training is built with on-line modules, so that students can work at their own pace and convenient place.
Q: What is the cost of EMA courses, how is the payment carried out?
A: The cost of the course is $ 225. The payment is made with credit card using the Edwards Mediation Academy website, to which anyone is automatically redirected to, pressing the button.
Q: How much time is given to take this EMA course?
A: Once you start this EMA course, it is active for 6 months from the start date.
However, we understand that the foreseeable circumstances are possible, if such things happen and you need more time to complete the course, contact us individually.
Q: How is the certification carried out?
A: Evaluation is carried out according to the completed homework, which can be done in English, Russian or Ukrainian, at the choice of participants. According to the results of the assesments, students receive individual feedback in the chosen language of assessment.
Q: What is the status of the certificate?
A: It is an international certificate and it allows mediation in all countries, except for those where there are special legal requirements to confirm any certificate obtained outside that country. For example, in Germany a requirement for a special status certificate applies when the mediator wants to be an accredited mediator only. One has to fulfill the additional accreditation requirements. The same applies to people who have received mediation certificates in Germany as well. In other words, the conditions are the same as for German mediators.
Currently, Edwards Mediation Academy runs projects in such countries as Ukraine, India, Georgia and others. And there were no questions about applying certificates.
Q: Are there any technical requirements for taking the EMA course?
A: No, you can work with modules from a laptop or a smartphone
All materials of the course are the EMA’s intellectual property. They must not be distributed to the non-participants of the course or be reproduced without reference to the EMA.
Copyright 2019 Український Центр Медіації. All Rights Reserved.